The main purpose behind this board is to have a powerful development FPGA board specialized in high-resolution data acquisition and processing. It can be used for general purpose developement too, thanks to the generous I/Os and power voltages count available for stackable extension boards.
| Kintex7 XC7K160T-xFFG676 |
DDR3, NOR Flash, F/MRAM
Isolated USB to UART
~180+ user IOs
The HiRADDA set is composed of two or more boards :
- HiRADDA Core
- HiRADDA Power
- n x user extension boards
HiRADDA is compatible with the FPGA Rack Backplane for interconnecting different boards with the help of the HVME16/32 version of the HES-SO Backplane Bus and the HES-SO VME IP Core. Additional specific hardware can be connected to HiRADDA as stackable mezzanine card.
HiRADDA embeds multiples memories for different usecases : DDR3 SDRAM for high speed sampling/processing, FLASH for non-volatile data (including softcores code) and Ferroelectric/Magnetoresistive RAM for non-volatile user parameters/logs.
This 160x100mm (Eurocard) 16 layers PCB contains the following parts :
- 2x A/D 24bits 4MSPS (Ti ADS1675) with 2 analog paths :
- Direct (differential)
- Through operational amplifier (single/differential)
- 1x D/A 16bits 500MSPS (Maxim MAX5888), current source, with 1 analog path :
- Direct (differential)
- 1x Xilinx Kintex7 XC7K160T-xFFG676 (XC7K70T/XC7K325T compatible)
- 162.24k logic cells, 25.35k slices (max 2.188Mb of distributed RAM)
- 11.7Mb block RAM (650x18Kb / 325x36Kb)
- 600 DSP Slices
- GTX I/Os
- 1x Low-jitter clock generator/distributor for ADC/DAC/DDR3/FPGA (AD9517-4 with 1.6GHz VCO)
- 1x 100MHz quartz for boot clock
- 1x expansion connectors with the following FPGA banks :
- Full HR bank 13 (with 24 diffs or 48 single-ended + 2 single-ended, total 50 pins / Voltage range : 1.14V to 3.465V).
- Full HP bank 33 (with 24 diffs or 48 single-ended + 2 single-ended, total 50 pins / Voltage range : 1.14V to 1.89V).
- Full GTX banks 115 & 116 (8x TX ,8x RX, 4x reference clocks) - for PCI-Express 8x, SATA, SFP etc... use.
- 1x additional connector with 8 I/Os (+3.3V).
- 1x fully isolated USB2.0<->UART interface with hardware flow control.
- 1x additional connector with isolated 2x input and 2x output (reduce some UART functionnalities if used).
- Various memories for work/parameters :
- 1x 256MiB DDR3 (32M x 8banks x 8bit width)
- 2x 32MiB Serial QuadSPI NOR Flash (one reserved for FPGA programming, bigger compatible ones available)
- 1x 256KiB Serial SPI Ferroelectric-RAM (pin compatible Magnetoresistive-RAM can be soldered too, bigger compatible ones available)
- 4x user RGB LEDs
- 10x user DIL switches
- 1x JTAG connector
- 1x DIN41612 VME compatible connector 3x32 pins (full HVME32, 1.8V/2.5V/3.3V) with CMOS AC termination on all signal pins (default: unsoldered)
Power supply considerations
The following power rails have to be produced on the HiRADDA Power board :
- +C2.5V (AD9517-4)
- +C3.3V (AD9517-4)
- -A5.0V - Optional, for AOP input range extension
- +A1.0V - Optional, for FPGA GTX I/Os.
- +A1.2V - Optional, for FPGA GTX I/Os.
- +A1.8V - Optional, for FPGA GTX I/Os.
- +A3.3V (MAX5888)
- +A5.0V (ADS1675)
- +D1.0V (FPGA Core)
- +D1.5V (DDR3 SDRAM Core)
- +D1.8V - Optional, for user I/Os
- +D2.5V (LVDS VCXO, user I/Os)
- +D3.0V (ADS1675)
- +D3.3V (multiple usage, incl. user I/Os)
The following power rails are produced locally on the core board :
- +DR0.75V (DDR3 SDRAM Core)
- +AR2.5V (ADC)
- +AR3.0V (ADC)
VME connector considerations
- No power rail are connected to the VME connector.
- The I/O bank which interfaces the VME connector can be 1.8V, 2.5V or 3.3V depending on the 'V@xVME' jumper position. Be careful with other FPGA Rack boards using a different voltage configuration (usually 3.3V).
The FPGA on this board can be programmed in 2 ways :
- directly through JTAG interface.
- automatically on boot via the onboard FLASH memory. This serial FLASH can be accessed in :
- SPI SDR x1 : ~20s boot time
- SPI SDR x4 : ~ 5s boot time
- SPI DDR xn is not supported.
More explanation about FLASH programming is available here.
Changelog / Known issues
Validated functions on PCB version 1.0.0 :
- [PASS] FPGA and JTAG
- [PASS] FPGA boot via SPIx4 FLASH
- [PASS] FPGA boot oscillator.
- [PASS] AD9517-4 clock generator/distributor (include heavy configuration though SPI).
- [PASS] MAX5555 DAC
- [PASS] ADS1675 ADC CH0 and CH1 via AOP (uni+bipolar powering).
- [PASS] User FRAM (see issues) : Tested with patch.
- [PENDING] DDR3 (see issues) : Currently one step in calibration startup procedure fails.
- [TODO] User FLASH. (Very low risk, low priority, when RISCV softcores are implemented)
- [PASS/PENDING] User I/Os. (HVME & extension bank HP33 not tested yet (no real risk on them). Others sucessfully.)
- [TODO] User GTXs. (Very low priority, for future PCI-Express 8x link)
Issues for PCB version 1.00 :
- [Non critical] FPGA VCCBRAM is routed to +A1.0V instead of +D1.0V. Must be bridged to +D1.0V through the filter LC21.
- [Non critical] Error in PCB layout for the F/M-RAM IC : can't be soldered. Please add one (or two) SPI version through I/O port J6. See patch A.
- [Enhancement] Light overshoot on ADC 32MHz CMOS input clocks. Better to add a termination.
- [Information] LVPECL DAC clock must be only pulldowned, then decoupled (no bridge/diff term at end).
- [Critical] Errors around DDR3 power supplies (One wire was accidentally moved on schematics...). [Corrections on patch A]
- +D1.5VF is not connected to +D1.5V (filter missing!). DDR3 is NOT powered - fortunately.
- MAX1510ETB's VCC is connected to +D1.5VF instead of +D3.3V. Can't work.
- MAX1510ETB's PGOOD (open-drain) pullup resistor is missing (so the tiny testpoint is useless).
- MAX1510ETB's REFIN is accidentally bridged to +D1.5VF.
- C127 is useless (must be connected to +D1.5VF).
- [Non critical] FPGA Bank 34. T7 (MISCIO_SWITCH8) VRP pin must be pulled up with 100Ohms and U4 (MISCIO_SWITCH0) VRN pins pulled down with the same value. This is for DCI inputs (data lane). Therefore these SWITCH I/Os are no more usable (maybe cut concerned pins for avoid "on-demand" DDR3 crash ^^).
- [Information] DDR3: Below 400MHz operations, FPGA internal reference is activable. At higher frequency, you will be frustrated with W4 (MISCIO_BUTTON0), AD3 (DDR3-TDQS_N) and even more with Xilinx MIG7 coregen util...
- [Information] Phantom signals on bank 14 (K23 DAC1_PD and J23 DAC1_SEL0). To know for another revision.
Planned changes for PCB version 1.1.0 :
- F/MRAM good IC layout.
- Pulldown terms on DAC LVPECL clock at the end of the line (and simplification of front elements).
- DDR3 regulator full review (patch A integration).
- VRP/VRN resistors on DDR3 dedicated bank.
- Add external VREF on DDR3 dedicated bank for a 2x datarate enhancement (bonus).
- FPGA VCCBRAM to +D1.0V.
- CMOS AC terminations on ADC clocks.
- That's a powerful board... but less bright blue / RGB LEDs (max 0.5...1mA!) will be fine for eyes ;-)
- Add reset manager for HiRADDA Core usage without HiRADDA Power board ?
Contacts / Collaborators
Project manager :
Main developper (Design/Schematics) :
PCB routing :
Additionnal checks :
- Blaise Evequoz (HiRADDA Core : ADC/DAC zone check)
- Gregory Emery (HiRADDA Core : General check + HiRADDA Power)
- Joseph Moerschell (HiRADDA Core : ADC/DAC/Power zone check + HiRADDA Power)
- Louis Mayencourt (HiRADDA Core : Fast general check)
VHDL/SpinalHDL dev & physical tests :