The CHESS mission wants to fly 2 Cubesats with primary mission to measure the earth’s atmosphere with the help of a mass spectrometer.
On-Board Computer (OBC)
The On-Board Computer (OBC) transfers information between the subsystems, mainly from the radio to mission payload and back.
In the CHESS mission, it communicates:
- with the EPS through OBC/CAN
- with the ADCS through a serial link
- with the radios through a SPI link
- with the mass spectrometer through a SPI link
- with the GPS board through a SPI link
The data processing is distributed between a microprocessor and a FPGA logic. Additionally, a OBC/PIC PIC microcontroller bridges the FPGA to the OBC/CAN bus.